How to Prevent Chrome from Launching on Startup
Google Chrome is the most popular browser for computers. The reason is not far-fetched. Due to the fact that Chrome integrates with many of Google apps, it is a choice browser. The browser is also loaded with many security features. This doesn’t mean it isn’t without its own flaws. You may have notice that it launches on startup. If you don’t like this, you can disable it. In this post, we show you how.
Remove Chrome from Startup Programs
First, you may consider removing Chrome from Startup programs to prevent it from opening on start up.
1. Launch the Task Manager. Do this by holding CTRL, SHIFT, and ESC.
2. Next, navigate to Startup Tab and locate Chrome.
3. When you see Chrome, click Disable.
Stop Chrome Background Apps
Chrome does run background apps even when you exit it. You can disable these apps by following the steps below:
1. Launch Chrome and click the three vertical dots.
2. Next, click Settings and move down the page where you’ll see Advanced.
3. Get down to the System section where you’ll find the option, Continue Running Background Apps when Google Chrome is Closed.
4. Disable that option.
Restart your PC and check if the problem still persists. If it still happens, try the next method.
Remove Chrome from Startup via Registry Editor
The problem might be due to Google Chrome AutoLaunch. This program works automatically by approving startup items. They are called Potentially Unwanted Program or PUP.
It can come from the browser and you will be redirected to some page via the Chrome AutoLaunch.
Here’s how to remove it
1. Open the Run window by pressing the Windows key and R. Enter “regedit” and OK to open the registry.
2. You’ll need to give permissions to modify things, select Yes.
3. In the Registry Editor, find this folder or copy and paste the following path: ComputerHKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionRun
4. If you find unwanted programs on the list, right-click on it and hit Delete.
5. You should also go to this folder ComputerHKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionExplorerStartupApprovedRun and do the above.
Exit from the Registry Editor and restart your computer.
In case this didn’t work either, there are more methods you can try.
Reset or Reinstall Chrome
Another way you could overcome the problem is by reinstalling Chrome. Do this through the following steps:
1. In the start menu, enter Add or Remove Programs.
2. Locate Chrome, click on it and hit Unistall.
3. Delete everything that has to do with Chrome including the Chrome installation folder.
4. You can then reinstall Chrome.
If you want your bookmarks, passwords, and browsing history to still be in place, you can try the reset option instead.
1. Launch Chrome and click the menu located at the top- right.
2. Select Settings and scroll down the page.
3. Locate “Restore Settings to Their Original Defaults”.
4. Hit Reset Settings.
You don’t have to make do with the disturbing launch of Chrome on startup. You can always do away with it by disabling it and we have shown you how to do that here. If you found this helpful? Kindly leave a comment and don’t forget to share.
You can also check out
How To Edit A Zoom Recording
How to Change your Background in Zoom
How to Change Your Name in Zoom Before a Meeting
How to Change Your Name in Zoom During a Meeting
How to Add Photos on TikTok
How to Know Those That Viewed Your Profile on TikTok
TikTok: How To Edit A Video Caption After Posting
How to Check NIN on MTN, Glo, Airtel and 9mobile
DStv Subscription Package, Prices with Channels
Startimes Subscription Package, Prices, And Channel List For Each Plan
GOtv Subscription Package GOtv Max, Jolli, Jinja and Lite Channel List and Price
GOtv Assigned Channel Number with Channel
GoTV Customer Service Contact, Social Media Handle & Email Address
StarTimes Customer Care Contact, Social Media Handle & Email Address
Top 5 Best Web Browsers for Android
Top 5 Best Music Player Apps for Android
Top 5 Best Alarm Clock Apps for Android
Top 5 Best eBook Reader Apps for iPhone and iPad
Top 4 Best VPN Apps for iPhone and iPad
Top 5 Best Apps for Monitoring Data on iPhone and iPad
Top 5 Best Translation Apps for iPhone and iPad
Top 5 Best Alarm Apps for iPhone and iPad
Top 5 Best Calendar Apps for iPhone and iPad
Top 5 Best Photo Editing Apps for iPhone and iPad
Hope with this, you have learnt How to Prevent Chrome from Launching on Startup.
Please share and like below, also comment below for any problem faced or encountered.
Leave a Reply