How to Batch Rename Files on Mac
Whether you use a computer or a smartphone, you’ll surely be dealing with files and folders. Your storage was designed to host them and they are the means through which your photos, videos, music are saved.
Files are always saved with a file name for recall and organising. If you forgot to rename a file and it has a generic naming, it may be hard to find such file. Above all, organising is a way to keep your files clean and uncluttered.
Mac has Finder for doing this and it may interest you to know that it is also capable to batch renaming files. In this article, we guide you on how to batch rename files Mac.
How to Batch Rename Files on a Mac
You can batch rename any type of file using this method. Here’s how:
1. Open Finder from the dock and locate the files you want to rename.
2. Press down the Shift key and click on the files to select more than one.
3. Navigate to the Finder window and select Action. Select “Rename (number) items…”
4. Navigate to the rename tools and click the drop-down menu. From there, select Format. There are various format to choose from. Simply choose one.
“Name and Date”
“Name and Index,” or
“Name and Counter.”
With “Custom Format”, you can use a custom name to rename the files.
5. Specify a starting number and hit Rename.
How to Batch Rename Files using Automator on Mac
Ensure all the files you want to rename are saved to desktop. Here’s how to use Mac Automator to batch rename your files.
1. Navigate to Finder > Applications Folder and then open the Automator app.
2. Next, navigate to Folder Action > Choose. Navigate to the first column present on the left and choose Files & Folders.
3. Double click Rename Finder Items from the middle column
4. You’ll see a pop-up seeking your permission to add the original files with the original names after the renaming is done. Hit Do Not Add if you don’t want this.
5. Navigate to the Rename Finder Items window and select Make Sequential. Select the radio button beside New Name and input new names for your files.
After that, drag the folders that contains the file you want to rename into the pane.
Next, click the Play button.
How to Batch Rename File Extensions on Mac
Follow the steps below to rename file extensions on Mac.
1. Launch Finder and find the files you wish to rename.
2. Press down shift and select as many files as you want. From the Finder window, click the Action button or you can right-click the selected file to use the menu.
3. Select Rename Items from the menu. Navigate to the Rename toolbar and select Format
4. What you want to do next, is to select the Name format to rename your files. Select anyone from the below listed:
“Name and Index”
“Name and Counter,” or
“Name and Date.”
Enter the new name to be included in all selected files, into the “Name Format” box.
5. Specify a number in the Start Numbers At box.
6. Hit Rename.
With our computers built to be able to automate, it is relieving to know that you don’t have to rename files one by one. You can just do it at once, and that was what this post was about. We hope you found it helpful? If you did, kindly leave a comment and don’t forget to share.
You can also check out
How To Edit A Zoom Recording
How to Change your Background in Zoom
How to Change Your Name in Zoom Before a Meeting
How to Change Your Name in Zoom During a Meeting
How to Add Photos on TikTok
How to Know Those That Viewed Your Profile on TikTok
TikTok: How To Edit A Video Caption After Posting
How to Check NIN on MTN, Glo, Airtel and 9mobile
DStv Subscription Package, Prices with Channels
Startimes Subscription Package, Prices, And Channel List For Each Plan
GOtv Subscription Package GOtv Max, Jolli, Jinja and Lite Channel List and Price
GOtv Assigned Channel Number with Channel
GoTV Customer Service Contact, Social Media Handle & Email Address
StarTimes Customer Care Contact, Social Media Handle & Email Address
Top 5 Best Web Browsers for Android
Top 5 Best Music Player Apps for Android
Top 5 Best Alarm Clock Apps for Android
Top 5 Best eBook Reader Apps for iPhone and iPad
Top 4 Best VPN Apps for iPhone and iPad
Top 5 Best Apps for Monitoring Data on iPhone and iPad
Top 5 Best Translation Apps for iPhone and iPad
Top 5 Best Alarm Apps for iPhone and iPad
Top 5 Best Calendar Apps for iPhone and iPad
Top 5 Best Photo Editing Apps for iPhone and iPad
Hope with this, you have learnt How to Batch Rename Files on Mac.
Please share and like below, also comment below for any problem faced or encountered.