Messenger is the sister app to Facebook which handles all your chats and messaging. The app also lets you make voice and video calls. Messenger like other messaging apps also has the read receipt feature that notifies the other party when you read their message. If you don’t want this to happen, you may want to turn off the read receipt. However, Messenger doesn’t have an option to disable read receipt. But we have a workaround. Let’s check it out…
How to Turn Off Read Receipt on Messenger for Android
Android users can’t turn off their read receipt, but there’s also a workaround for this. Follow the steps below to do this:
1. First, access the Quick Settings menu. Do this by swiping from the top of your phone down.
2. Tap the airplane mode icon which will turn on Airplane Mode.
3. Next, move over to Messenger to open the unread message.
4. When you’re done with reading the message, close Messenger.
5. Open the app drawer by pressing the square icon at the bottom of your screen. This will show you all the apps running in the background. Swipe Messenger away to close it completely.
6. Now, turn off Airplane Mode.
By following these steps, you will be able to read the message on Messenger without the other party knowing.
Turn Off Online Status on Android
You can restrict your friends from monitoring your presence on Messenger by turning off Online Status. Here’s how:
1. Launch Messenger.
2. Tap the profile icon at the top-left. You’ll see some options.
3. From the options, tap “Active Status”
4. Next, tap the toggle beside “Show When You’re Active” to turn the option off.
How to Turn Off Read Receipt on Messenger on iOS
There’s no simple method of disabling read receipts on Facebook Messenger, but there are workarounds. With the steps below, you can prevent people from knowing that you’ve viewed their message. Follow the steps below to achieve this:
1. Go to your iPhone settings.
2. Next, navigate to where Airplane Mode and tap the toggle beside it to switch it On. It would then become green.
3. After enabling Airplane Mode, launch Messenger and go to the conversation.
4. Read the message, and then close the app and make sure you move it out of the app drawer.
5. Next, turn off Airplane Mode.
Because Airplane Mode was enabled, your internet connection will be disabled which will prevent the sender of the messages from being notified that you’ve read the message.
Turn Off Online Status on iPhone
To restrict the person you’re conversing with from monitoring your presence on Messenger, you can hide your online status. This will remove the green icon from showing beside your name. Here’s how:
1. Open Messenger on your iPhone.
2. Next, tap your Profile icon which you’ll see at the top left.
3. Next, select “Active Status”.
4. After that, tap the toggle beside “Show When You’re Active” to switch it off.
5. Finally, tap “Turn Off”.
Messenger can be a really cool app until you discover you can’t turn off read receipt. But that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t use the app. With the workaround we shared here, you can read those message without the other party knowing. We hope you found this guide helpful? If you did, kindly leave a comment and don’t forget to share…