How to Report a Discord Server
Discord is not your regular social media platform. It is targeted at communities and it has features to deliver this well. Since we are talking about communities here, there can be some unruly activities among members of a community that can get you upset.
If you feel there’s harassments, or any violation, Discord allows you to report any server having this misconduct to them. With this feature, you can give Discord some information that will enable the investigate the issue.
You should actually be sure there’s need for reporting before reporting a server to Discord. If you report a server that cannot be found wanting, it may to issues on your end.
Below are some of the issues Discord doesn’t tolerate:
- Spam messages
- Violating IP rights
- Sharing child pornography
- Glorifying or promoting suicide or self-harm
- Distributing viruses
- Threatening another user
- Sharing images of gore or animal cruelty
Things Required to Report a Discord Server
You’ll need some certain information to file a report. Some of them are:
1. The Server IDs for the server you plan on reporting.
2. Message links for Discord to know which community guideline had been violated.
3. The User IDs of people that were engaged in the activity. This isn’t the same as Username+Tag.
Before you can get these IDs, you’ll need to turn on Developer Mode. Let’s dive right in..
How to Enable Developer Mode on Discord
You can’t report a server unless Developer mode is turned on. In this article, we discuss how to turn it on..
How to Obtain Server IDs On PC or Mac
Here’s how to obtain a Server ID on the Discord Desktop app or Web app.
1. First, right click on the arrow at the server’s name which you’ll see above the channel list.
5 Click the arrow; Source: About Device
2. Check the bottom of the list where you’ll see “Copy ID”. Click it.
6 Click “Copy ID”; Source: About Device
The ID is long string of numbers. You can then paste it to your Notepad or Word Document.
1. Tap the three-lines icon at the top-left corner. You should see the server icon at the left.
1 Tap the three-lines icon; Source: About Device
2. Now, hold the server’s name at the top and click More Options.
2 Hold the Server; Source: About Device
3. Next tap on “Copy ID”.
3 Tap “Copy ID”; Source: About Device
4. Now, paste the ID on a notepad.
1. First, tap on the Menu icon at the top-left. You should see the Server icons at the left
2. Now, tap the three-dot icon beside the server name.
3. Next, select “Copy ID”.
4. You can then paste the ID into a notepad.
How to Obtain Message Links
1. Hover your mouse over the message. You will see a triple-dot icon. Click on it
2. Next, select “Copy Message Link”.
6 Click “Copy Message Link”; Source: About Device
1. Tap and hold the message.
2. When the pop-up appears, select “Share” which will open up another menu.
3. Now, tap “Copy ID”
4 Tap.”Copy ID”; Source: About Device
4. Paste it in a notepad.
Unfortunately, iPhone and iPads users cannot obtain message links on their devices, you’ll have to go to your computer to do this.
How to Obtain User ID
It is also very easy to get a User’s ID once you’ve enabled developer mode. You can check how to do that in our previous article here.
Reporting the Server
After you have gotten all the IDs and other information, you can now send the information to Discord’s Trust and Safety team.
You will need to have the following information:
1. What can we help you with?
2. Your Email Address: Use the email address you signed up with
3. Report Type
5. Attachments: if you pasted all the IDs into a word document, you can upload it here. You may also provide a screenshot for evidence
6. Once you are through with filling the report, click the Report button at the bottom.
When you want sanity in a server, it important that measures are put in place that would discourage servers from tolerating misconduct, and Reporting a Server is one of them. We hope you found this guide helpful? If you did, kindly leave a comment and don’t forget to share…
Leave a Reply