How to Factory Reset your Chromecast
The way we are able to watch contents on our screens is evolving day-by-day, and now we have a dedicated device for this – Chromecast – that enables us to watch contents from streaming services like Hulu and Netflix on big screens.
Just like other device, it gets to a point where there is need to factory reset the Chromecast. As things can get slower and it may, it is necessary to restore to factory settings and get it back on track. In this post, we show you how to reset your Chromecast no matter the generation you have.
Ways to Factory Reset Chromecast
You can reset your Google Chromecast in different ways. First, you can use the Chromecast app to do it, or perform a hard reset of the Chromecast dongle device. The 1st Generation way of doing it is different from that of the 2nd and 3rd generation models. Here, we show you the different ways you can reset it.
How to Reset 1st Generation Chromecast
It is very easy to the Chromecast dongle and you can simply reset it with the Android or iOS app.
Reset 1st Gen Chromecast with App
1. Launch the Google Home app and look for the right Chromecast dongle you wish to reset.
2. Tap the Settings icon at the top and tap the Menu icon represented by three vertical dots.
3. Hit Factory Reset. confirm your action and the reset process will start.
Reset 1st Gen Chromecast with the Dongle
1. First, plug the Chromecast into the TV.
2. Then press down the side button for some time until the white LED begins to blink red.
3. Once you find out that that the LED has turned white, release the button and the reset process will start.
Reset 2nd & 3rd Gen Chromecast
The process for resetting the Chromecast Generation 1 is similar to that of Generation 3. The difference is that you don’t need to hold any bottom down as long as that of the Generation 1 and there is a difference in the LED Colors. If you prefer to do it via the app, you will surely encounter the same process as in Generation 1.
Reset Gen 2, Gen 3 and Gen 3 Ultra with the App
1. Launch the Google Home app on your mobile device and locate the Chromecast device you want to reset.
2. Tap the Settings icon. You’ll see this icon at the top of the screen.
3. Navigate to the Menu option and from there Hit Factory Reset.
4. Confirm your action.
Reset Gen 2, Gen 3 and Gen 3 Ultra through the Dongle
1. Plug the Chromecast into your TV.
2. Proceed by pressing down the side button and wait for the LED light to blink orange.
3. Once it becomes white, get your hands off the button and the reset process will start.
Factory reset of your Chromecast is very easy and simple. You don’t have to go through a lot of processes and yes! You have more than one option. So which ever suits you can be your favourite. We hope you found this helpful? If you did, kindly leave a comment and don’t forget to share.